Possible new zones

Possible new zones  

By: jw35 on July 31, 2018, 10:01 a.m.

We are looking at revising the zones in which we monitor traffic speeds. The current zone map looks like this:

Current Zones

A possible future map looks like this:

Future Zones

We'd welcome feedback on this before we commit ourselves and deploy the changes. The logic behind the changes includes the following:

1. Correct a few existing zones that tuned out to be badly placed
  2. Add coverage of some missing routes (e.g. Cherry Hinton Road)
  3. Add zones on some existing routes further out from the City Centre (e.g. beyond the M11)
  4. Add zones for the approaches to Addenbrooke's ahead of the opening of AstraZenica and Papworth Hospital
  5. Add coverage of the entire inner ring road

Remember that this all works by monitoring buses so there no point creating zones on roads where buses don't run. This is why for example Long Road, the B1049 through Histon and Impington, and much of Fendon Road/Mowbrary Road/Perne Road/Brooks Road/Barnwell Road are unmonitored.

A further plan we have in this area that we may have time for is to report average speed as well as time taken to transit the zone (which obviously involves working out how to measure the length of each zone).

Jon.

--
Jon Warbrick
Adaptive Cities Programme, University of Cambridge

Last edited by: jw35 on July 31, 2018, 10:02 a.m., edited 1 time in total.

Re: Possible new zones  

By: hught on Aug. 1, 2018, 10:38 a.m.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any scheduled buses in the stretch of Queen's Road between Northampton St and West Rd.

By: jw35 on Aug. 1, 2018, 1:14 p.m.

Thanks.

It looks as if the open-top tour bus (for which we get popsition reports) goes north on that route, but nothing goes south.

Likewise we get a reasonable number of reports from buses traveling north on either Elizabeth Way zone, but very few from buses traveling south.

We may have to reconsider these zones.

Jon.

--
Jon Warbrick

By: jw35 on Aug. 1, 2018, 1:41 p.m.

It looks like Elizabeth Way has Milton Road P&R buses traveling north on it, but the southbound buses use Victoria Avenue.

Jon.

--
Jon Warbrick

By: hught on Aug. 1, 2018, 6:07 p.m.

There's very little data in both current and proposed zoning for Hills Rd, because the overwhelming majority of services "divert" via Station Rd before returning (except for the Busway routes) at the Brooklands Ave crossroads. There's a huge amount of data from St Andrew's St to Station Rd corner, and from Brooklands Ave onwards, that's not being utilised. I can't immediately think how to incorporate this, but it must surely provide a fuller perspective than the half-hourly Haverhill buses. Anyone have any bright ideas??

By: jw35 on Aug. 2, 2018, 11:04 a.m.

The answer is probably to split the existing Hills Road zone into two, one finishing (inbound) at Hills Road Bridge and one starting beyond Station Road. The second one would then be quite short - i could extend past the Catholic Church junction, but then it would loose services that turn onto Gonville Place...

Thanks for pointing this out - keep the suggestions coming.

Jon.

--
Jon Warbrick

By: hught on Aug. 2, 2018, 11:21 p.m.

Not sure how beneficial the proposed new Barton zone would be. There's only one bus an hour in each direction on the Stagecoack 18, plus a daily handful of 75s (which I don't think can be tracked right now). So there will be very little data - and a greater potential to mislead than to help as a consequence? I suppose it depends just how the traffic data will be utilised as a service.

By: edward on Aug. 3, 2018, 2:09 p.m.

I would definitely add Regent St/St Andrews St between Hills Rd junction and Downing St.

I'd also suggest a zone from St Andrews St at Emmanuel St to Magdalene St at Northampton St. This would capture the buses that route via Hobson St - King St - Manor St - Jesus Lane - Bridge St - Magdalene St. (I don't think any buses turn right on Jesus Lane from Manor St.)

Edward Leigh Smarter Cambridge Transport

By: jw35 on Aug. 10, 2018, 3:28 p.m.

Thanks for all the feedback. Based on that and other input our revised zone map now looks like this:

Newer zone map

Changes from the last version include:

• Splitting Hills Road into two zones, one on either side of the train station
  • Adding Brooklands Avenue, Victoria Avenue and Maid's Causeway (the latter two arguably being part of the inner ring road)
  • Three zones monitoring the Guided Busway

We are planing to accept that some zones only have significant numbers of busses in one direction, and are currently holding a line of not monitoring inside the inner ring road. Unless we change our minds again we expect to deploy these changes as they stand to https://smartcambridge.org/.

We have tools that will allow us to replay archived data and so build up past transit data for the new zones. We'll probably do this at some stage.

Jon.

--
Jon Warbrick

By: jw35 on Aug. 20, 2018, 9:32 a.m.

The new zones went live last week (though we've yet to load past data). My thanks to everyone to who helped design them.

Jon.

--
Jon Warbrick