Possible new zones ¶
By: jw35 on July 31, 2018, 10:01 a.m.
We are looking at revising the zones in which we monitor traffic speeds. The current zone map looks like this:
A possible future map looks like this:
We'd welcome feedback on this before we commit ourselves and deploy the changes. The logic behind the changes includes the following:
- Correct a few existing zones that tuned out to be badly placed
- Add coverage of some missing routes (e.g. Cherry Hinton Road)
- Add zones on some existing routes further out from the City Centre (e.g. beyond the M11)
- Add zones for the approaches to Addenbrooke's ahead of the opening of AstraZenica and Papworth Hospital
- Add coverage of the entire inner ring road
Remember that this all works by monitoring buses so there no point creating zones on roads where buses don't run. This is why for example Long Road, the B1049 through Histon and Impington, and much of Fendon Road/Mowbrary Road/Perne Road/Brooks Road/Barnwell Road are unmonitored.
A further plan we have in this area that we may have time for is to report average speed as well as time taken to transit the zone (which obviously involves working out how to measure the length of each zone).
Adaptive Cities Programme, University of Cambridge
Last edited by: jw35 on July 31, 2018, 10:02 a.m., edited 1 time in total.